Saturday, September 7, 2013

London Day 1

    After LOTS of traffic, long check-in & security lines, and high anxiety, I finally made it to the gate!  But all of my worries seemed to melt away when I was seated next to two very gorgeous British men.  Instead of 'thank you' they said 'cheers'- which is absolutely adorable.  If I had a dollar for every time someone said cheers to me, today alone, I'd be a pretty rich lady.  Welcome to London!
    I was able to get a few hours of sleep on the plane.  After watching Safe Haven (which resulted in LOTS of tears), I was exhausted and ready to sleep.  However the lady to my left had other plans.  She decided to be THE ONLY person in the cabin with a light on.  She took out bits of paper and began writing what looked like her autobiography. However, I was mistaken... She was writing song lyrics.  So she then preceded to sing it. Aloud. It was neither the time, nor the place- I wanted sleep.  Out of the 7 hour flight I got about 3 1/2 hours of sleep.

  After meeting with our group of about 25 kids (all ultimately going to Prague or Austria) we hopped on a bus and headed to the hotel.  Our driver, John, was a witty old man who knew so much random, useless information about London landmarks- plus, he was hilarious!  I am rooming with Laurisa- she is from Rochester, NY but lived in Ukraine until she was 9 (speaks fluent Russian and Slovak).  Michelle, Erika (also from Long Island), and I went to a small cafe for lunch.  None of us knew how the check/tipping thing goes in London so we basically just winged it.  The waitress either got an amazingly high tip, or a crappy tip.  Then we toured the Hyde Park, which our hotel overlooks.  Next, we took to Oxford Street to check out the shopping scene.  Tomorrow is a tour-filled day of all London's most famous landmarks.  Stay tuned!




 First thing we crossed off our bucket list!

 Our hotel for the weekend
 Hyde Park





 Very VERY friendly pigeons



 Horse statue




No comments:

Post a Comment